My Self-Referential TOP 25 List of 2018 (in random order)
1. Designing an anti-fascist poster for the Montreal International Anarchist Theatre Festival.
2. Mecca Normal’s “In January” used as a soundtrack for White Death (2:40), a film made by Amsterdam-based Jocelyne Moreau. White Death is about passion, tuberculosis as ‘consumption’ and ‘romantic disease’.
3. Surpassing 500 columns in the Mecca Normal collaboration for MAGNET Magazine online.
4. My poster of Emma Goldman included in the “Remember | Resist | Redraw: A Radical History Poster Project” exhibit at the Peel Art Gallery, Museum and Archives (PAMA) (Brampton, ON).
5. Collaborating with the Graphic History Collective to illustrate a 93 page comic, in 53 days, on the Winnipeg General Strike of 1919.
7. My illustration of The Battle of Ballantyne Pier used in promo for the musical version by Vancouver playwright Sherry MacDonald.
8. Mecca Normal’s “I Walk Alone” is slanted for use in next season’s feminist FX series Better Things.
9. Seeing my book cover for “1919: A Graphic History of the Winnipeg General Strike” on display at the Frankfurt Book Fair and on the cover of the Spring 2019 catalogue of publisher Between the Lines.
10. Another year of friendship and collaboration with Jean Smith. We worked on new Mecca Normal songs and we were asked by Patrick Maley to play YoYo a GoGo in 2019.
11. Completing a 5 x 3’ mural commission for an exhibit at Cumberland Museum and Archives.
View this post on Instagram
Last night we bombed through all our songs recording with the amazing Marcelo – here's a clip of us saluting to the "strong white male" a cover by the amazing Mecca Normal Come check us out this Friday @diyspaceforlondon trans & non binary gig night – can't wait!! #giglondon #southlondon #diymusic #qtipoclondon #transmusicians #nonbinary #queerlondon #diyspace #diyspaceforlondon #fundraiser
Best Praxis rehearsing “Strong White Male” before the show (below)
13. Performing with Wendy Atkinson as Horde of Two, playing two poems by Bud Osborn at the Vancouver book launch of “Busted: An Illustrated History of Drug Prohibition in Canada” by Susan Boyd.
14. Seeing the great cover art by Jean Smith for Calvin Johnson’s solo album, featured in articles and reviews in Rolling Stone, SPIN, Stereogum, and Pitchfork.
15. Being approached to illustrate a graphic biography on the life of radical anti-slavery activist Benjamin Lay.
17. The great Seattle cellist Lori Goldston uses two of Jean Smith’s paintings as album covers.
18. Another year of the amazing paintings by Jean Smith and the fun of seeing the diverse range of people responding to her art. It gives me great hope for this world that people buy art.
Jean Smith $100 USD paintings (11 x 14″) for sale on FaceBook
19. Putting together the insert art for the upcoming Mecca Normal live in Montreal album on Artoffact Records.
20. The challenging and profound 3-night sold-out stand of Tanya Tagaq/Laakkuluk curated by my partner Wendy Atkinson for her Beyond Words series at The Chan Centre for the Performing Arts at UBC. The 2018 season also included an evening with Laurie Anderson.
21. South Korean publisher Book Sea releases an edition of “Celebrate People’s History: The Poster Book of Resistance and Revolution” which includes my poster of Paul Robeson.
22. UK-based artist Rita Isaac asks Jean Smith for a painting to be used in an art book series by Laurence King Publishing “that aim to shed a new light onto the contemporary practice of different art forms and use of materials.”
Jean Smith, Rose Melberg, Jon Manning, Wendy Atkinson, David Lester
23. Celebrating 20 years with my partner Wendy Atkinson by cycling in Germany and Holland and travel to Shanghai, China.
24. The fun of doing a Mecca Normal interview with Allison Wolfe for her podcast, I’m In The Band.
25. Another year of work on my graphic novel about Emma Goldman. I’m getting closer.